Warning: Governments Steal Your Liberties
Presidents and World Leaders have often warned of the dangers when governments get too big. Thomas Jefferson stated: “My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
As evidence – notice the recent wild spending after the Obama “Sequester” went into effect. While cutting essential services, our President’s & Vice President’s families have taken 8 lavish vacations in 3 months and just hosted a huge and expensive Celebrity Event. (The Sequester allowed every department’s budget to be cut EXCEPT the President’s!)
In light of the wild spending by most world governments, it appears the warnings below from great men seems to have gone unheeded. However, by reading and understanding quotes from great men of history, the literate can take action to regain our liberties.
1) “The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’” – Ronald Reagan
2) “However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.” – Winston Churchill
3) “In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.” — President John Adams
4) “The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they’re ignorant; it’s just that they know so much that isn’t so.” – Ronald Reagan
5) “I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress. – Ronald Reagan
6) “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.” – Thomas Jefferson
7) “Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.” – Ronald Reagan
8) “When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ..” — Thomas Jefferson
9) “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams 1826
10) “The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program.” – Ronald Reagan
11) “It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.” — Thomas Jefferson
12) “The taxpayer: That’s someone who works for the federal government but doesn’t have to take the civil service examination.” – Ronald Reagan
13) “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” — Ben Franklin
14) “To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.” — Thomas Jefferson
15) “We should measure Welfare’s success by how many leave Welfare, NOT by How Many are Added.” – Ronald Reagan
16) ‘Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed, there are many rewards; if you disgrace yourself, you can always write a book.’ – Ronald Reagan
17) “A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money.” — G. Gordon Liddy
18) “Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.” – Frederic Bastiat, French economist (1801-1850)
19) “If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there’d be a shortage of sand.” - Milton Friedman
20) “I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.” - Winston Churchill
Frankly, it’s difficult to keep track of all parts of our government. It is so confusing because of its huge size, that little restrictions to our liberty can be easily overlooked. However, when these are implemented to their full extent after 5-10 years have gone by, we find they have significantly changed our way of life.
Here’s a final warning from Thomas Jefferson of which we should all be aware. “I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
- Key Quotations to Keep the U.S. Strong ShareThoughtful Ideas from Patriots “Freedom isn’t Free. You’ve got to pay a price. You’ve got to sacrifice for your liberty.”...
- Common Misconceptions about Thomas Jefferson ShareThe Jefferson Lies – Book Review Thomas Nelson Publishing recently recalled The Jefferson Lies by David Barton of WallBuilders. Our...