What Teachers don’t Tell You in Sunday School!
Below are 8 little known facts about Jesus’ death on the cross to help you understand His love for you.
- The Jewish leaders were so angry at Jesus that they wanted him to die the most painful, degrading way possible for revenge and to teach those following Him that He was NOT God’s Son.
- Jesus was crucified at 9:00 a.m. but died around 3:00 p.m. – six hours. That was extraordinary, since this method of execution was designed to torture the condemned for about 48 hours before death! Matt 27:45 Death was confirmed by a Roman Centurion standing by. Surprised, having seen dozens of crucifixions before, he said,Certainly this was a righteous man. Luke 23:44-47
- To make certain his body wouldn’t be taken by His followers, Roman soldiers were put in charge of guarding His tomb. They had to be very diligent. If the body disappeared, they’d pay with their lives! A later example is found in Acts 12:19. But when Herod had searched for him and not found him, he examined the guards and commanded that they should be put to death.
- Why weren’t the Roman soldiers punished by death, since Jesus’ body disappeared? The Jewish priests bribed the soldiers with a large sum of money to say, His disciples came at night and stole Him away while we slept. Obviously that is punishable by death, but the priests also said, if it comes to the governor’s ears, we will appease him and make you secure. Matt 27:13-14
- 2 thieves, also crucified, were saved from most of a 48-hour ordeal. Saturday was a high holy day, so the Jews asked for their legs to be broken to allow suffocation, assuring quicker death. John 19:31-32 Soldiers also checked Jesus. He was already dead, but a soldier stuck a spear in Jesus’ side so blood and water came out. Separation of water from the blood in crucifixion is a sign of death. John 19:34-35
- Did all the Jews rise up against Jesus? Did the Roman’s kill Jesus? No! It was the Jewish LEADERS (under the direction of Annas) not the Jewish people who had Jesus crucified! Jesus caught them siphoning the people’s money meant for the God’s treasury, so the angry leaders wanted revenge. See EverydayChristianFamily.com – How Evil Leadership Scammed the Jews and Got Exposed!
- There has already been a resurrection of Old Testament people. What? And the graves were opened and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many. Matt 27:52-53
Although there are many more, those are 8 little known facts about Jesus’ death I’ve learned. These are known by very few. Did you know there are 322 Old Testament prophecies, Jesus life fulfilled? The odds of those coming true are infinitesimal! If only 25 came true that would be 1 chance in 33,554,432!
Question: Would you give someone – you don’t know – $50,000? Who do you know that you love so much that you’d do that? Just think of all the things you’ve done wrong. Who should pay the penalty? Somebody’s got to pay!
Well, Good News! God gave up much more for you! He gave up His Son’s life to get you back in good standing. Jesus’ lifeblood paid for all the horrible things you have done against others and God – IF you accept it. Just say, “Dear God, in my heart I believe that Jesus truly is Your Son; He died for my sins, and rose from the dead. I repent for every time I have sinned. I accept Jesus into my life right now to lead and guide me as my Lord. Thank You for saving me!