God’s Little Known Guidelines of How to Pray to Get Your Prayers Answered
The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much! If you accepted Jesus as your Savior, you are righteous. Therefore, your fervent prayers MUST work! So, why don’t some prayers get results?
Imagine for a moment you’re at a baseball game. A player hits a double, but as he rounds 1st, he gets tackled. You’d scream “this is baseball, not football! They’re using the wrong set of rules!” The Bible shows us many types of prayers, but each has its own rules and guidelines!
I’ve heard prayers ending with “if it be Your will”. Would you be shocked to learn Jesus prayed “if it be your will” only once? It was in the Garden of Gethsemane, as he placed himself in God’s hands for our Salvation. He never used it before or after.
What’s God’s Will? IT’S GOD’S WILL that we prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers – III Jn 2. Jesus said I have come that they may have life and that . . . more abundantly – John 10:10b. Great rule: When ending a prayer, use Jesus’ name! And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I WILL DO IT – John 14:13.
I. How To Pray – 10 Types
There are no hard/fast formulas, so if you’re about to have a car accident, just cry out “Lord, help me!” and HE WILL!) But, there are about 10 types of Biblical prayers – each with its own guidelines.
- The Prayer of Faith – And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing you will receive – Matt 21:22. Also found in Jn 15:7; Mk 11:24; Jam 5:14 & I Jn 5:14-15
- Prayer of Commitment – Casting all your care upon Him, for he cares for you. I Pet 5:7
- Prayer of Worship – And they worshiped Him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy, and were continually in the temple praising and blessing God. – Luke 24:52-53
- Prayer of Agreement – Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. – Matt 18:19
- United Prayer – So when they heard that they raised their voice to God with one accord . . And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken. Acts 4:23-31; Acts 2:42 & 46-47
- Prayer in the Spirit – What should I do? I will pray with my spirit and I will also pray with my understanding. I will sing with my spirit, and I will also sing with my understanding. – I Corinthians 14:15.
- Prayer of Supplication – Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. – Phil 4:6 (Prayer for others who are saved.)
- Intercessory Prayer – So I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it, but I found no one. Ez 22:30 (This is a very sad scripture.) Also Ps 94:16; 106:2-3; Is 66:4; Jn 4:23; Gen 18:23-33.
- Prayer of Consecration – Matt 26:39 (Luke 22:42) He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed saying, ‘O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.’
- Prayer that Binds and Loosens – Matt 18:18 (Matt 16:19 . . . whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
II. How to Pray – Maximum Number to Get Results
The maximum people needed to get results in prayer is 2!
Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning ANYTHING that they ask, it WILL be done for them by My Father in Heaven. For where two or three are gathered in My name, I am there in the midst of them.
Precise Agreement is the key! Great prayer chains may be built, but if they pray for slightly different results, which prayer is God to honor? Better that you have 1 other person who will precisely agree with you!
III. How to Pray: Be Specific
General prayers get general results – Precise prayers get precise results. Which do you want?
IV. How to Pray: After your Prayer
Watch your mouth after you pray. You will have what you say! Mk 11:23 uses SAY 3 times, but BELIEVE only once! We hold the power of life and death in our tongue. Don’t let the devil use your tongue to steal your answer through doubt and unbelief!
V. How To Pray: Use Faith
Don’t Doubt and Don’t Whine! God is moved by Faith, not your need or Mindless Repetition. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope, without wavering, for He who promised IS faithful. . . Do not throw away your confidence, which has great reward for you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise. . . Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask ANYTHING according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we KNOW that we have what we have asked of Him! Heb 10:23, 35, 36; I Jn 5:14-15
God loves you!
He wants to be your best friend – to walk and talk with you. So with all your talking, make certain to listen to Him! Trust 100% in Him! (Prov 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.) You’ll get the desires of your heart!
By: Jim and Diane Edwards